- Prof. S.F.N.Chelliah
On 28th September 2013 Dr. K.Veeramani, President, Dravidar Kazhagam (DK) was travelling in a van to attend the open air conference to be held in Virudhachalam. When the van was in the western side of Palakarai at 08-20 p.m. a crowd of about 30 persons came shouting slogans ‘Down, down Veeramani’ with sticks, iron rods and wooden clubs. They started attacking the van with those weapons.
They attacked the pilot car in front tearing the party flag in it and throwing it away. With a murderous intent, they tried to open the door of the van to attack the inmates. The leader escaped by the driver’s clever manipulation of the vehicle. There were the flags of the National Yadava Mahasabah on the iron rods in the hands of those men.
THE ORDER OF EVENTS
- On 28the September 2013 the Cuddalore-Virudhachalam Districts Regional Conference of the Dravidar Kazhagam – Students’ Wing was convened with a grand show of festivity and comraderie in Virudhachalam without any untoward event.
- 15 days prior to this conference, application for permission from the Police was submitted duly for the conduct of seminar, procession propagating eradication of superstition and the open air conference.
- The day prior to the Conference, the Police Sub-Inspector informed that no permission would be granted for the meet. The Police Department gave such information knowing fully well that all the necessary arrangements had already been made.
- After this information, permission for the meet was obtained from the higher Police official.
- The D.K. cadres who were wounded in the incident were admitted in the Government Hospital . They had been brutally and pointlessly attacked by the Police, when they had come there on hearing of the attack. The Deputy Secretary of the District D.K., Muthu Kathiravan submitted a complaint against the Police atrocity on the cadres. But they refused to receive it.
- Later two police complaints were submitted ,one by Ilangovan and the other by Poet Kali Poongundran the Vice President, D.K.
- After all these efforts, only two of the miscreants have so far been arrested. There is no information about the rest 28 persons !
- Of the two arrested , one belongs to the B.J.P. and the other is a Hindu Munnani member.
THE VIEWS EXPRESSED BY LEADERS
Dr. Kalaignar M.Karunanidhi
“I strongly condemn the violence let loose on the leaders and the cadres of the Dravidar Kazhagam. …… This is the land where the great Periyar lived daring all threats and dangers and taking the followers to a path of glory and success. It is highly regrettable that the Police instead of protecting the leaders were just watching them taking no action.”
Mr. Thol Thirumavalavan
“ This is a clear instance of a well planned conspiracy by a group to attack Dr.Veeramani. Their professed grudge was , he had spoken attacking Krishnan the god of their caste. I strongly condemn the violence of the caste fanatics who identify even gods with caste”
Prof . Suba.Veerapandian
“The news of the attack on Dr.Veeramani was very shocking and painful. Those who cannot match the intellectual power of the leader have resorted to such cowardly acts. It is quite evident they seemed to have been emboldened by their dream of coming to power at the Centre in the next elections. Our organisation strongly condemns this brutal act.”
Prof .K.M.Kader Mohideen, National General Secretary, Indian Union Muslim League.
“I am very sad to hear about the attack. Periyar was spreading rationalistic thoughts in Tamil Nadu like a mother suckling her babies. But for Periyar, Tamil Nadu would have been a desert land without any culture. Dr. Veeramani has been effectively continuing Periyar’s Mission. The attack on him is a clear indication of the growing menace of the religious fundamentalism in this land. The Muslim League strongly condemns such uncivilized acts.”
“ I strongly condemn the attack on the leader who has been relentlessly spearheading the revolutionary principles of Periyar without any violence. The lukewarm attitude of the Police in this matter is very unfortunate which might seriously and adversely affect the image of India.”
Mr. Elango Yadhav, the State President, Samajwadi.
“We strongly condemn the attack on Dr. Veeramani with murderous intent by anti social elements. We demand immediate action by the Police to punish the culprits.”
Mr. L.Nandhagopal, the Deputy Leader of the All India Yadhava Maha sabha.
“Dr. Veeramani is a great leader fighting for the cause of the uplift of the oppressed. An attack on him in the name of Yadhava Maha sabha is highly condemnable shameful and despicable.”
Mr.M.Gopalakrishnan, President,Yadhava Mahasabha
“I hereby declare that the Yadhavas are a grateful community and they would never stoop to such low levels of savagery. We would never forget the services rendered by the great Periyar for the uplift of our community. We therefore strongly condemn the attack on Dr. Veeramani”
There are a host of leaders who have expressed condemnation to the culprits and solidarity with the leader which include Mr.M.K.Stalin,Mr. Nizam Mohideen, Mr.Paramathi Shanmugam, writers Mr.Prapanjan, Mr.S.V.Rajadurai, Prof. Marx, Comrade Indrajith and others.
The daily news papers Thina Thanthi, Dinakaran, Dhina Mani, Dhina Malar, The New Indian Express all reported the incident with due importance and identifying the culprits and condemning the Police inaction and apathy. The Tamil weekly, Nakeeran gave a detailed and elaborate report on the incident.
Dr.VEERAMANI’S REPORT AND APPEAL
Quite on the expected lines Dr. Veeramani has appealed for calm and restraint from the ever enthusiastic cadres. He has utilized this occasion to reiterate the traditional culture of the Kazhagam. This movement founded by Periyar has encountered endless such provocations and violent attacks and in fact these acts of barbaric attacks have only added to its strength and progress.
Several truths which were not made public should open our eyes. The Police indifference is an indication with a lot of implications .We clearly see their unseen masters and their powerful influence in the wake of certain fast moving political polarisation in the State and the nation.
But we should never give in to violence and revengefulness. Attacks on me are not anything new. Attacks on my life were made in Srivilliputhur, Chennai – Vannarapettai and Salem .What can be a greater reward for a person of public life of service and commitment than his death for his principle?
I whole heartedly thank all my friends and well wishers for their most cordial sentiments.
Kavignar Kali.Poongundran’s poetic exuberance and the lyrical outburst quite aptly reflects all our deep emotions and love for the leader.
“You made some little noises in Virudhachalam
but infused new life through out the world………
Who remembers the name of the attacker?
Only the attacked shines out!”
Yes .We belong to a group that counts the benefits reaped from the beatings and attacks on us rather than counting the wounds received from the attack. If any one believes in drawing sustenance from violent means, we should like to remind them of the warning , “He who takes the sword shall perish by it.” Our Dravidar Kazhagam is a living demonstration of upholding this policy at all costs.